Foul smells in a workplace are often caused by bacteria that has been left to breed through either inadequate or infrequent office cleaning. To combat office odors make sure you’re cleaning often, using the best cleaning methods, and using odor eliminating products when appropriate.
Here are the top office odors and the best odor removal methods.
The best way to combat office bathroom odors is to ask your cleaning service to clean them daily. This will ensure the cause of the odors is addressed quickly.
In addition, consider using passive air fresheners or other odor eliminating products to keep your restrooms smelling fresh throughout the day. Restroom air fresheners are an inexpensive way to keep foul odors at bay.
Break room refrigerator odors.
To curb break room refrigerator odors there are two things you should do: 1. Encourage your associates to remove their leftovers from the refrigerator everyday and 2. Keep baking soda in the refrigerator. The baking soda will soak up any foul odors leaving your refrigerator smelling fresh.
The best way to combat sink odors is to make sure your associates clean up after themselves and don’t leave dishes piled up in the sink.
If your sink still has an odor it may be the drain. There are number of ways to clean a sink drain, but the best way is with vinegar and baking soda. To clean your drain follow these steps:
- Pour a boiling water down your drain.
- Pour in a 1/2 cup baking soda and let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Then, pour a mixture of 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup of hot water on top of the baking soda.
- Let this sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Flush with water.
After this, the odor should be gone.
Carpet or upholstery odors.
For small carpet and upholstery odors using baking soda is the easiest way to remove odors. Simple sprinkle baking soda over the area, let sit for 15-20 minutes, and vacuum up all of the baking soda.
If this doesn’t work, try an enzyme deodorizer. An enzyme deodorizer contains bacteria that will digest the source of the odor, completely removing it from your carpet or upholstery.
Trash can odors.
Trash can odors can be tackled in a number of different ways. Here are 3 of our favorite ways:
- Sprinkle baking soda at the bottom of the trash can. Just like with the refrigerator and carpet, the baking soda will soak up the odors.
- Sometimes you need something stronger to get rid of odors. Bleach is definitely a good option. Although bleach has a strong odor, it will kill germs that may be contributing to the smell in your trash.
- Lastly, give dryer sheets a try. Toss a dryer sheet into the bottom of your trash cans and they will mask any nasty trash odors.