Do your workplace’s floors feel dingy or dirty? Then it may be time to rethink your floor cleaning routine. To help you keep your commercial floors as clean as possible, we’ve outlined the best ways to clean each flooring type and keep them clean.
Best Ways to Clean Commercial Tile Floors
Tile floors are the most durable and resilient of any flooring. Tile doesn’t scratch or warp like wood floors and it doesn’t pick up stains like carpeting. However, tile grout is still porous and can absorb stains. So, when thinking about cleaning tile floors, you should primarily consider how to keep your grout clean.
How do you clean tile grout?
When cleaning grout, it’s important to avoid using bleach and other harsh chemical cleaners that might break down grout sealants. This will cause the grout to become more porous and absorb stains faster. The best way to clean grout is using a natural grout cleaner.
How to clean grout without chemicals:
- Mix together 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp dish soap together,
- Spoon mixture onto grout,
- Wait 10 minutes,
- Scrub and rinse.
How do you clean tile?
There are two primary ways you should keep your tile clean: 1. Mopping and 2. Scrubbing with an automated tile floor scrubber.
You should mop regularly to keep your grout from staining – either daily or weekly depending on your business’ foot traffic. And at least once per quarter, tile floors should be scrubbed with an automated tile floor scrubber or professionally cleaned to help maintain your flooring.
Best way to mop tile floors.
- Sweep regularly to remove dirt and debris. Always sweep before you mop.
- Identify your “mopping plan” before you begin so you don’t mop yourself into a corner.
- Use a yarn or string mop. A sponge mop pushes dirty water into grout lines, making them harder to clean later.
- Change the water frequently. Mopping with dirty water will leave your business’ floors looking dingy.
- Buff your floors dry use a clean, lint-free cloth or a microfiber mop.
Best Ways to Clean Commercial Carpet
Keeping your carpet free of dirt and debris is important to making carpet last. When dirt and debris collects on carpet and people walk on it, the debris will actually wear down your carpet fibers. This is why it’s incredibly important to keep your carpet clean.
How do you clean carpet?
There are 3 primary ways to clean carpet:
- Vacuuming regularly.
- Spot cleaning.
- Deep cleaning or steam cleaning.
How often should you vacuum commercial carpet?
The best way to keep commercial carpet clean is by vacuuming regularly. Carpet should be vacuumed anywhere from 2-7 days per week depending on your foot traffic.
How do you spot clean carpet?
When spot cleaning carpet the most important thing to remember is to never use a scrub brush or bristle brush. These will damage your carpet fibers. Always use a clean, white rag and blot the stain.
Here’s how to make a chemical-free spot cleaner:
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of a translucent liquid dishwashing detergent into one cup of lukewarm water.
- Spray the stain with the solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
- Spray the stain with lukewarm water, then blot with a dry white cloth.
- Repeat all steps until the stain is removed.
How often should you deep clean commercial carpet?
Carpet should be deep cleaned at least once per quarter depending on the amount of foot traffic in your office. If you see a significant amount of foot traffic or you work in a healthcare facility, you’ll want to deep clean your carpet at least once per month.
Best Ways to Clean Commercial Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floors need a more gentle approach to cleaning than carpet or tile. There are 3 ways to keep your hardwood floors clean.
- Sweep them regularly with a broom or dry mop.
- Mop them with a microfiber mop. Never use a sponge and yarn mop. These types of mop heads use too much water and can cause hardwood floors to warp.
- Lastly, if you use a hardwood floor cleaner. use a solution that has a specific pH balance to ensure you don’t damage the wood. NEVER use a cleaner that isn’t specifically made for hardwood on your hardwood floors. We recommend using Bona Hardwood Floor Cleaner for everyday use.